How To Give First Aid When There Is No First Aid Kit?
First aid is a temporary form of assistance meted out during medical emergencies prior to the arrival of advanced and professional treatment. First aid procedure is inclusive of simple yet effective medical techniques and is the most critical part for victims – for life saving!
First aid is vital in different medical emergency situations. With proper knowledge in methods and procedures that will help in controlling the emergency will help in saving a person’s life. Emergencies occur at any given point of time and place. Injuries and accidents might take place at home, school, and office or even at the park. Knowledge in first aid and its basics will help you to take care of an injured person and in the process, also enable you to reduce the level of danger. First aid is mandatory in cases of injuries that cause profuse amount of bleeding. With instant first aid action, you can reduce extensive loss of blood and save the person too. Giving immediate first aid will save a person’s life or at least buy enough time for professionals to arrive at the scene.
It is a good skill to know the first aid basics. Those involved in dealing or working with children should know first aid basics. From teachers, parents to nannies, everyone should get trained in first aid. apart from them, workers or employees who are exposed to dangerous or working with similar machinery, should have first aid skills. Along with these professionals, campers and individuals who travel on a regular basis should get first aid training.
Basic first aid kit
Whether at home or office, you should always have a well-stocked and all-inclusive first aid kit, which will come in handy during injuries and accidents. Apart from stocking up a first aid kit at home or office, you should also give one in your car too, for emergency purposes.
- Different shapes and sizes of plasters
- 2 sterile eye dressings
- Sterile gauze dressings of different sizes
- Triangular bandages
- Disposable sterile gloves
- Crepe rolled type of bandages
- Safety pins
- Sticky tape
- Cleansing wipes that are alcohol free
- Skin rash creams
- Antiseptic cream
- Digital thermometer
- Spray or cream to relieve insect stings and bites
- Antihistamine tablets
- Cough medicine
- Distilled water
- Medicines for different purposes (make sure to check the dates and avoid using those that have expired)
What will happen, if there isn’t any accessibility to first aid kit during injuries or similar emergencies?
If you don’t have the above mentioned things present in your first aid kit or no kit at all, you can still take care of injuries and emergencies.
- You can still take care of medical emergencies with the use of ingredients present in your kitchen only. For treating burns, you can use beer, juice, milk etc. if you don’t have water or distilled water. In fact, you can use cold liquid. The sole purpose is to cool the concerning area ASAP. For treating burns, you need to cool the area for maximum 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have any bandage or gauze to cover the burnt area, you can make use of a clean piece of plastic bag, freezer bag etc. Using these items, will help in securing the burnt area because they will not stick to it. They will create a source of barrier and prevent infections. The best item is a plastic bag, especially for covering burnt foot or hand.
- If you happen to face an injury that involves broken bone and you don’t know the type of padding required for supporting the broken bone, you can use blankets, clothing, pillowor hold the injured area yourself only.
- Don’t have anything to treat a diabetic emergency? Don’t worry, if there isn’t any glucose tablet. You can make use of sugar cubes, orange juice or even chocolate, sugar, aerated drinks etc.
- If you need to treat and take care of heavy bleeding related emergency, but don’t have the presence of any dressing pad, you can make use of a tea towel, another individual’s hand or t-shirt on the wounded area. These will help in providing pressure on the region and either slow down or completely stop the blood flow.
- When there is absence of ice cubes and you are faced with a head injury, you can simply place a bag of frozen meat or peas, after wrapping the bag in a towel. Another thing you can do is soak a piece of cloth in cold water, squeeze out the excess amount of water and place on the injured part of the head.
Wash your hands properly. Clean hands are the most important first aid tools. This will work, when you don’t have gloves. If you have to tend to cuts and bruises, make sure to rinse the affected area with regular water. By flushing out a scrape or cut with the help of plain water, you will not require using any disinfectant.
Injured ankles and feet can be tended without any first aid equipment. All you need to do is use a pillow as a splint that on the injured part and wrap the pillow around it, securing the same with a duct tape or anything that is strong enough to secure the pillow.
First aid consists of two types – one covers minor injuries. You can handle them yourself only. They are not life-threatening. Then there are others that require immediate medical assistance, like, cardiac arrest, sudden collapse. The first thing you should do is immediately call 911 and proceed to giving CPR.
Emergencies occur at any given point of time. Being prepared and having the necessary knowledge will get you favorable results. Therefore, it is highly vital for every one of us to take up first aid and CPR training or at least know the basics, in order to take care or handle medical crisis. According to American Heart Association – 80% medical emergencies occur at home or residential surroundings. Thus, every family member should have skills and training in basic first aid. After all, it is the matter of your loved ones’ life right?!