Pediatric Advanced Life Support or PALS is certification program for healthcare professionals or those who want to acquire both skill and knowledge to treat critically ill children and infants and recognize conditions. The goal of this certification program is to assist professionals to boost pediatric patient care in emergency settings and also to improve skills of professionals who have the responsibility to take care of children and infants.
Who should take up this course?
Pediatric Advanced Life Support or PALS program is designed for nurses, physician, paramedics, physician extenders and individuals who want to improve their skills and knowledge in handling emergency care and situations concerning children and infants.
The certification course makes use of a scenario based approach, and has a full-fledged team to teach and train pediatric emergency management that of infants and children. It also covers treatment processes that are beyond the emergency duration and inclusive of patient stabilization and transportation of pediatrics emergency.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course Features
- Scenario and hands-on based program, which are led by instructors, through simulations and discussions.
- Students of PALS require working in teams and taking up numerous roles relevant to different cases.
- Program materials are inclusive of self-assessment pre-course and identifying knowledge gaps.
- Format of the course is inclusive of group interaction, discussion and skill development with instructor feedback.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course Content
- Recognizing and treating children and infants who are at risk of getting cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Presence of a systematic approach for assessing pediatrics.
- Effective and constructive respiratory management.
- Skill validation for single and double-personal AED and CPR skills for pediatrics.
- Intraosseous accessibility.
- Administration of fluid bolus.
- Synchronized cardioversion and defibrillation.
- Resuscitation team dynamics that are effective in practice.
Overview – Pediatric Advanced Life Support
Pediatric Advanced Life Support is a program that is directed by simulated clinical scenarios in order to encourage students of PALS to practice and learn life-saving skills, as a whole team. The program emphasizes on the vitality of basic life support CPR. It reinforces vital healthcare protocols, inclusive of cardiac arrest management, basic life support care, early management and recognition initiation for different peri-conditions, ischemic chest aches, algorithms, identification of coronary syndrome and treatment, recognition of different life-threatening conditions, effective team interaction and administration of initial care.
You need to take up Pediatric Advanced Life Support course, for availing a certification in PALS. The certification programs that are approved by American Heart Association should be considered. PALS certification program has been designed intentionally; healthcare professionals can participate, from pediatricians, physicians to paramedics, respiratory therapists to emergency physicians. It is important that these professionals complete the BLS course from AHA or ARC for PALS pharmacology, professional rescuers and ECG interpretation knowledge. One also need to complete and finish the pre-course materials of the course and pass PALS course and tests. PALS is beneficial not only for healthcare professionals but also pediatric patients. PALS development has been able to boost patient survival rate at a consistent level.
Most of the PALS courses are inclusive of hands-on instructions, which are the following:
- Electric therapy/rhythm disturbances
- Respiratory emergencies
- Resuscitation team conceptualization
- Vascular accessibility
Once you complete the PALS course with success, you will be awarded with the requisite certification from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross (depending on your organization), which will be effective for a period of 2 years. The grading is based on fail/pass system.
Irrespective of your work field, you can enjoy the benefits of PALS training. The training is provided by numerous medical training organizations, through which, you learn how to deal with kids and infants in life-threatening circumstances. It is not a mandatory rule that only those involved in the field of healthcare and medicine can only take up this course. If you love children and care for them, you can benefit a lot from getting PALS training and certification in the same!